PUNK POETRY: Sisters from the hood by Solape Adetutu

Sisters from the hood


You and me

Playing in the rain

Building castles with sand

Playing suwe

Stealing pennies to buy eyin alangba (egg shaped sweets) and bubble gum

Running for miles

On our scrawny legs

Eating together from the same plate and disagreeing with the division of the lone piece of meat alloted us

Fighting and making up...over and over again

So many years ago

I heard you came back to the hood

And made haste to visit you, my sister from the hood

How shocked I was

When you snubbed me

What can fa? (What could cause this?)

Is it because you return with an acquired accent?

Is it because you return, coldly polished and strangely distant?

Is it because you now feel superior to me because, I never left?

My sister from the hood returns

But

not to me.


--Solape Adetutu



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)