PUNK POETRY: Edges by Louise Wilford

Edges

My body’s edges have melted like wax.

First, my skin lay soft and plump
over my bones.
Then, as I grew older,
the shape of tibia, fibia, femor, patella, spinal column, ribcage, scapula, clavicle
pressed against the tight skin like rocks pushing through the dirt.
Later, that cover was stuffed like the fat cushions
on my grandmother’s bed, curved and firm,
sex spread across my chest, my hips, my arse, my taut round calves,
until my belly bulged like a medicine ball
then emptied and shrank back, loose as a deflated balloon.
Food became my greatest joy.
My flesh was a plastic bag pushed smooth from the inside
by the pressure of dimpled fat. I ate as if food was life itself,
ravenous, insatiable.
As I grew larger, I became unseen.
No one noticed the gorgeous mounds
and hidden crevices, the golden hairs glittering along the horizons
of my body. No one valued my manatee hips, my bolster breasts
resting on a mattress midriff.
And, now, my body’s edges have melted like wax,
grown into layers that I wear like a winter blanket. I have shrunk
as I aged. Some parts are sun-dried orange peel
and others drooping flannelette. I no longer look like a woman.
I am liquid, dissolving into a puddle that will at last evaporate,
invisible,
into the empty air.

--Louise Wilford 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)