PUNK POETRY: Sleeping on the Couch Again by Tim Goodwin

I: Sleep


Sleeping on the couch, again

and again and again, over and over
'til the end of eternity, or at least
until all the sheep have been accounted
for, and Mr. Sandman has hung up
his cap and gown. I'll be there:

The renegade insomniac backpack
warrior, stars as my map
and streetlights like inkblots
spilling across canvas; Jackson
Pollock ain't got shit on urban

hellscapes. From sweaty leather
upholstery in Arizona to a fold-out
futon in New Jersey, every couch
holds a history. I've been there listening
at 3 A.M. (the witches' hour): Whispers

of a story in every stain
and echoes of a memory
in every rusty creak 
of well-worn springs.

Inhale deep: The dust
and dander, smoke and
mold. Light breeze from
the window. This couch

has lived.

Exhale and let go.
You've been there before,
You'll be there again.

There's nothing but time
from here 'til eternity. 


II: Dream

Back in the beginning
there were nights
where I would sleep
on the couch for the fun
of it. Chips and soda
all-nighters, Nintendo
glow throwing shadows
over scattered cards and
magazines. Sleeping bags
abandoned, sprawled out,
cradled and embraced by
summer haze. That was my 

favorite
couch

and I wish it could be home again,
but nothing's ever really felt like home
since Mom sold the home 
five years ago. I don't know,

maybe I'm being romantic, melodramatic,
or trying to argue semantics, but I'm torn
between two cliches; some say
"Home isn't a place, it's a feeling,"
but others tell me "You can never really 
go home again." Maybe the truth is halfway 

between, like a lucid dream: a living
memory influenced by unconscious
desires and waking intentions. I can fly
in these dreams, but the ghosts in the
gutter still scream; the haunted choir,
the remnant shadows, electrochemical
no-face fractal phantoms. The dream

ends as it began: Instead
of flying, I am falling.


III: Wake

Years later and the nightmare
is long since over. Everything fades,
like the stains on the couch. 

This couch is ancient, but
comfy. Big enough for both 
of us. Warm and soft,
buried in blankets and
pillows. We drifted off 
to the rhythmic patter 
of raindrops on the roof.

I know it's 
not much, but

for you,
this couch 
can stretch

from here 

'til eternity.

I hope you sleep well.

--Tim Goodwin 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown