PUNK POETRY: Raw by Keiran Elden

Raw

There was nothing to look forward to

Tomorrow looked like 

today looked like 

yesterday

The entire world was grayscale except for

in bright flashes of aching sepia and

bursts of unbearable

blurred saturation

And the weight of every single thing rested comfortably

behind my eyelids

breaking my spine

 

There was no memory

I couldn’t mimic that smile anymore

The one I had in that picture of me

from when I was a little girl

That little girl never existed

At least

I didn’t think she had

 

There was no respect

My mind had no censor

My body was a tool, a shell

for me to twist and mutilate

A filter that once told me

don’t think of those things

was burnt to ashes on the ground

 

There was no compassion

I hated everything about myself

every 

fucking 

thing

and there was no room for exception

It seemed impossible to care enough

about anything or anyone

and yet I cared so much it drove me mad

All those times I told myself

I could be a martyr

were really death wishes in disguise

 

There was no rationality

My head turned everything into

a catastrophe

My own screams deafened me

to what I knew made sense

to what I knew might save me

like a blind boy solving a puzzle

fitting the pieces together

but never seeing the picture

 

There was no hope

I was in a tunnel, telling myself

the light at the end was an illusion

and so I refused to leave

There was no when I grow up

only before I die

Enough was a useless word

I could never catch up to

 

There was

no

way

out

as I waited patiently for someone to

fucking save me

until I realized

only I 

could save myself


--Keiran Elden

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)