PUNK POETRY: Don't thank me for my service by Matthew Borczon

Thank my brother
who told my
mom that
even though
he is different
now we have
to learn to
love him
this way
thank my friend
who left
a book
about recognizing
the signs
of PTSD on
the dashboard
of my car
thank my daughter
who when I
ask what she
remembers about
the time I
was in Afghanistan
says I only
remember how
much I missed you
thank my wife
who stayed
even when
I tried to
drive her away
when I tried to
set fire to
anyone who
wanted to
say they
understand
thank everyone
thank anyone
but me thank
all the people
who lived through
this long march
I am still making
all the way back
to a place
I still can’t
call home.


--Matthew Borczon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)