PUNK POETRY: Born a crime by Sgqibo Klarion Gwadiso

1.My only crime was being born black and poor
2. a dark skinned black man born to a poor family
3. class - bottom of the barrel
4. race - black 
5. life expectancy - barely past a quarter of a century
6. Expected destination - prison
7. My profile read 
8.
9. From birth, life was against me
10. constantly dealt hands from a loaded deck
11. had to work hard to even be fit to race
12. the struggle to get to the starting line almost broke me
13. at night I'd cry myself to sleep
14. crying because of the pain of being pushed down because of my skin
15. crying because of the pain of seeing my smart lil brother unable to go to the right schools
16. crying because of the pain of seeing my mother try everything to get things done
17. crying because I was afraid I might slip up and fall into the same lifestyle that took my brother away from us
18. every day I'd wake up 
19. my tear-soaked pillow, a constant reminder to keep on the path


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)