Zoo / Depression by James Croal Jackson


your nephew said I was the cool one

(ripped jeans)      it gave me a kind 

of complex     nothing was the same 

 

after that day at the zoo      an old 

chimpanzee contemplated suicide in 

the corner of his cage       how life 

 

knows a multitude of ways to restrain you

 I considered   myself                lost

in the crowd        not answering my phone 

 

nor trying to find you     I know 

that’s not feasible I mean we were kids 

pushing kids     blue by the aquarium 

 

glass    big-eyed fish couldn’t notice us 

if they tried   the big room shimmering 

in the gray January light   we trapped



--James Croal Jackson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)