Somebody Told Me I Shouldn't Be Saying This by Irena Praitis

 

This body I have now

Is the one I wanted in my 20s,

The muscles on my arms, my stomach

Defined,

Promising the attractiveness

I was so sure

Would snare

The love I craved.


Here, at 53, this body

Slower but more athletic,

Stiffened, but more limber.

At my age I’m told

No tank tops, no sleeveless,

No fitted anything.

Age, designed to be

One more shame,

Of this body old enough

To know old enough, finally,

To love the love of itself,

This mother loving a son,

With no partner, no backup,

No need

 

Beyond the need

Of knowing herself.



--Irena Praitis

Comments

  1. This is a powerful poem of change, growth, longing, and self-determination. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)