Late Last Night


she penciled animals with her left hand:
dark pigs and dogs, but “Horses are too hard,”
she said. Self-conscious, with a diamond band,
a tight red dress, a round face acne-scarred,
she had bad teeth because she only brushed
the fronts. She kissed me. I smelled cigarettes,
her Heraclitean fire. Such moods! Blue-hushed,
to black, to blacker yet . . . a thousand yets.
And yet, she said she loved me: “You’re a good
man, just a little rough around the edges.”
I pledged that I’d live wilder if I could.
And then the moon above the cedar hedges . . . 
so white it blinded me till pale daylight.
I dreamed of my dead mother late last night.


--Thomas Zimmerman 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)