PUNK POETRY: What A Fine Death by Bill Weld

The Poet Federico Lorca 

on August 19th 1936 

was taken to an olive grove

outside Grenda and shot 


With him was 

a bullfighter

an anarchist 

and a schoolteacher

all the best people 


Their home would be destroyed

their bodies never found

but despite this 

I am inclined to think

it was the finest death there is 


Because they were on the list 

of those too thoughtful

too transgressive 

too inspiring 

too gay 

for fascism to exist


So long as they lived 

freedom of thought 

of expression 

of love 

could never die 


What an honor 

to be one the list

I hope one day

I make enough noise

to be added as well.


--Bill Weld

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)