PUNK POETRY: Lady by Pete Mladinic

 

She’s corgi.  Mom had her since a puppy. 

My mom, Willett went into Cresthaven, she

couldn’t keep her.  Is there a newsletter?

Oh, a webpage. If you could put up Lady’s

picture. She is a sweetie. I think Lady was

the only one Willett knew towards the end.

Cresthaven didn’t allow dogs, but Willett

couldn’t have her. We have her in a crate 

 

in the foyer off the kitchen. Sam and I, 

we have two teens, we’re out all day and

Lady’s fine. She’s seventeen.  Oh, a place

in Weatherford takes seniors. That’s a drive

from Ozona. Like you, I’m out showing 

properties. Sam’s on call with Texas Power. 

The kids with their activities, Michelle’s

in band. Maybe your webpage. Lady’s

 

a sweetheart. Willett, people used to say,

She is just like your child. We had dogs

growing up in Witchita Falls. No, we can’t 

keep her. That’s out of the question.

A shelter here in Ozona.  I hadn’t known.

That would be better than taking her

out and dropping her in the Sandhills.

We can’t keep her. Sam has allergies.

 

Michelle had a hamster but she’s not much

into animals, or is Mike, our son. Maybe

someone at the shelter—I didn’t know

there is one.  It’s overcrowded?  Someone

maybe will drive her to that place in

Weatherford. My uncle had a dog got lost.

The pound called and my uncle told

the pound, That dog is old. Put it to sleep.


--Pete Mladinic


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)