PUNK POETRY: Billy the Kid by Catfish McDaris

Billy the Kid
 
 
We could see the white butts of antelope
across from the Kid’s grave, we’d turn south
to the Pecos River to fish, swim, and party
 
I almost died twice there, once by drowning,
I dove in and hit a boulder under the surface,
my dad rescued my knocked-out carcass before 
the river swallowed me whole; years later in
 
The back of a pickup partying, parked in yucca,
mesquite, and creosote bush chaparral, a rhumba 
of tangled rattlesnakes attacked from the brush
 
People leaped out and ran like jackrabbits with 
coyotes in hot pursuit, now days after so much 
graffiti and desecration to Billy the Kid’s tomb-
stone, authorities have put a cage around it
 
Folks say Billy was so dangerous, even his 
ghost might escape, the red caliche dirt roads have
hills of petrified wood, crumbling adobe churches
with faded white crosses and plastic flowers in 
the church yard, tumbleweeds blown against graves.



--Catfish McDaris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)