Meeting Up by Holly Day


She calls up and asks if I’m coming to the reunion

lots of people will be there, it’ll be so cool 

to see so many old faces 

together in the same room again, and I drop a couple of names

find out my friends are all dead, I don’t know how that happened

I don’t know why or how I’m still here. 

 

She lists some people she knows are coming 

and I wasn’t friends with them, I didn’t hang out with them at all, 

they wouldn’t hang out with me back then

I don’t know why I still know their names. I say yeah, that’s neat

maybe I’ll come, I don’t know if anyone’ll even remember me

can already feel the whispers burning into the back of my neck

the insults I somehow managed to ignore, even when they were screamed

accompanied with spitballs and rocks and violence after school

I don’t know why I bother 

answering the phone anymore.


--Holly Day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)