Surviving the Street


my name is joe
(if yer asking -
which you ain’t)
although that’s not my name
but one i’ve always thought
could fit me
as an endangered urban tortoise
whose home rat-clatters
as it scutters along the high street 

discount

my stains and my rips
down-and-out chic 
gift wraped in this season’s black plastic 
the colour of passing
stuffed inside 
a wire cage tesco screambucket 
on maladroit wheels
incarcerating one dissipated bag full
of the tatters of yesterdays
and one bag overflowing with wild
debris of deflated bright wonder
that once shone in a child eye galaxy

squint

the grime that dresses me
depresses me
two bin bag joe off his trolley 
forcing screambucket to cross hexed
cracks in the pavement through 
puddled reflections 
of fractured neon attractions

look away

drowned in the sound of traffic
a peripheral smudge 

an illusion 
quick step >escape >too late
i’m in yer face / rank breath
spare a quid for a cuppa mate

-P.A Levy 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)