PUNK POETRY: What It Was To Be A Girl by Lori D'Angelo

Christmastime, I tried to donate two bras to Goodwill.

But I’m not sure if they take them used.

It’s not like underwear or a bathing suit even.  

I wouldn’t want someone else’s hand-me-downs, 

especially the bottom of a two-piece. 

I remember bleeding once at the public pool. 

I was glad then for the strong smell of chlorine

because who knows what else was in there? 

 

8th grade scoliosis test, the only girl without a bra. 

And so I bought one just for show. 

I didn’t start until the summer I turned fourteen. 

Convinced I never would, I read the birds and bees book.  

Are you there, God; it’s me, Lori?

Like other skinny, hipless girls, I bought Seventeen

learned all about the protection I wouldn’t need for years. 


--Lori D'Angelo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown