Wild Oats

 
It is a whole lot easier
to back out of driveways
than marriages;
I don’t know why,
but she was mighty pissed
when Pat told her
he was too young to marry,
there were still wild oats
to sow.
 
 
"WILD OATS, WILD OATS?",
she screamed
"I’ll show you WILD OATS!"
 
 
She came at him with a hammer
from the tool box
in the garage.
 
 
He thought about hitting her
but remembered the
law.
 
 
Instead,
he ran away
down the street
(falling out of his shoes
a third of the way
down)
as she chased him
still screeching:
"WILD OATS WILD OATS WILD
OATS..."
 
 
Neighbours stood around
on the sidewalk
laughing
while I sat on the front steps -
waiting for dinner
or mercy -
counting the ants
that came out of the hole
and made their way
toward the faux brass
railing.






--Ryan Flanagan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Had A Son, I Would Teach Him About Evolution

PUNK PROSE: Best by Jenna Brown

EDITOR'S NOTE: Something Old, Something New (aka WE'RE OPEN FOR REVIEW REQUESTS)